My 2016 Skincare Routine

November 13, 2016 0 Comments A+ a-



Ello, ello, ello! In today's post I am going to be talking a little bit about what I currently use in my skin care routine. So here's a fun fact for y'all: I had very bad acne at the age of 10. Like really bad! It was actually the source of my low self-esteem at a young age and was something I had always been insecure and picked on about. Not to mention it left dark hyper-pigmentation on my face, (I have dark skin), which made it extremely obvious. BUUUUUT ya girl is acne free (RiRi: how 'bout a round of applause?). My face is not perfect, not even close! But compared to what it was 5 years ago, your girl has come a long way!

Cleanse - African Black Soap

So all of you are probably wondering what's all that black, shiny stuff in the container. To put it simply, it's just African black soap. It's great for hyper pigmentation, clearing up your face, brightening your complexion and cleansing your face. If anything, this is the main reason why my face has cleared up within the past 5 years. I massage this into my face, sometimes using an exfoliating brush and then rinse it all off. I wash my face once or twice a day.

Morning: Moisturiser

In the morning I apply a moisturiser as opposed to my gel. The 'moisturiser' I actually use is a sunscreen. Many of you may think 'why sunscreen?' but I use sunscreen to prevent any of my dark spots from basically getting darker due to harmful UVB/UVA rays.
Has it worked? YESS!
The process of them clearing up could have taken much longer if not for the sunscreen. I use it all throughout the year - with or without the sun. LOL. However it is moisturising, just make sure you get one of 15 SPF or higher. I use 50 :) (It can be quite greasy, so just a precaution.) 

Night: Gel

This recently came into my routine not too long ago but I highly recommend it! I use aloe vera gel at night. After I finish washing my face with the black soap, I just dry my face with cotton pads and then apply the gel. You only need to use very little. It soothes and moisturise your face so it prevents it from completely drying out. When you put it on, it may feel a bit tight.once the gel dries but that feeling will soon fade away. This has prevented breakouts, not cleared my hyper pigmentation, but has stopped me from breaking out as much as I would have before using it. And it's a nice alternative from constantly putting creams on your face, plus there's no residue!

But that's it guys. My routine is not the most, I don't know, fascinating. It doesn't have many steps, it's very simple. It's more or less wash, exfoliate with a face brush and apply gel/sunscreen. Not so exciting, saaarry guys. But from previous experience, having a simple regime is just the best answer. Applying the whole sha-bang doesn't really do wonders for me. I just thought I would share what has helped my face improved.


Thank you for reading! I'm actually proud of myself guys, I've been quite consistent so far and I plan to stay consistent. Remember to enjoy today and to not let overthinking cloud your beautiful mindset. God bless!
"My only motto for life is don't lose." - Nicki Minaj

Simply, Jessy Tee