Why It's Important To Take A Break From Social Media

January 22, 2017 0 Comments A+ a-


Hi guys! I wasn't really motivated to write a blog post because you know how procrastination and anxiety is just an enemy of progress but I decided that blogging doesn't have to be tedious and cause me worry. It can be a short and a sweet 20 minutes and sometimes I forget that. So ya girl is back in business!

This post is all about why it's important to take a break from social media. Before breaking up from school, a lot of my friends were taking a backseat on social media (at least I think...), and although I miss the constant notifications on my phone from our groupchat, I have to admit that a break was what a lot of us needed.
Social media, which you may have heard hundreds of times, is a beautiful monster. It has its benefits but it also has its disadvantages. Social media does influence things like FOMO, anxiety, depression, peer pressure and other various things. The reason why I personally decided to take a break was because it definitely had an effect on my mood. I was more worried, upset and just uncomfortable. Not that I'm saying social media was a DIRECT cause of that, it definitely linked/increased those emotions. Plus the pressure of constantly revising and the pressure of being a new blogger ALL contributed to my negative mood.
Overall, social media didn't 'free' me from my problems. I seeked comfort in YouTube and scrolling down my Facebook timeline. However, social media was just eating up my time and didn't solve any of the problems I had going on in my personal life.

This is not a 'I HATE SOCIAL MEDIA' post, this is a 'be cautious' post. Time is very precious. It's limited. Social media has helped me in so many ways. It's where I can laugh, where I can find quotes that relate directly to my life, it's where I can contact my friends. But when it becomes something that consumes my time and attention, which causes me to lose focus on what's important - that's when it becomes toxic. If you're someone like me who legit has nothing to do in his or her spare time and turns to social media - then pause. There's plenty of other things to do:

-There's Netflix
-There's taking a walk
-There's watching a comedy film
-Going out with friends
-Blogging
-Sleeping
-Writing
-Reading
-Doing your hair
-Doing your make up
etc etc

Social media is just part of this growing world but that doesn't mean we should make it our whole world. A resolution of mine is to spend only an hour a day on social media (*sips tea very slowly*). Some of us may have social media drama happening between friends or some of us may have developed feelings of anxiety because we don't receive a text/a text back from that 'special' person. So imagine what a break could do. It can change one's perspective. Overall, remember to just take it easy. It is a time eater. Make sure to make the most of your time.
Have a great week!
"Feelings are just visitors. Let them come and go." -THISISLOVTELIFEQUOTES.COM

Simply, Jessy Tee