Prom 2K17: The Dress, Central London, Erasmus | Part 1

August 06, 2017 2 Comments A+ a-


Hi guys! Welcome back to my blog and today I’m going to be posting about my prom. This post is long overdue but I really wanted to upload it because I’m pretty sure that I will not have another prom again and plus this is something that is a bit more personal and I feel as though it would be great to share, so although it’s late -  it’s here! (My Nails were done the night before and excuse my crusty hands :P I cleaned the dishes before taking the photo).


The morning/afternoon: 

From what I can remember, I basically did hardly anything in the morning (I apologise for the bad English right there). In the morning I texted/called one of my friends and we were just talking about the day and what’s to come. I also remember viewing my Snapchat and watching everybody’s story which was actually funny because on everyone’s story, it was legit – the date of the day, a picture of nails or a ‘sneak peek’/preview of hair or people getting ready. So as the afternoon approaches, everything is going a bit slow from what I can retrieve.
But sooner or later everything began to speed up funny enough. My grandma came to see me, I applied my contacts (which at first felt like I had a pebble in my eye), then it was down to make up. My mum did my make up for me which was a dark lip and a pink eyeshadow as my dress was pink but she suggested that I go for something dark on my lips so it's a contrast from all the pink.
So after makeup comes hair. My mum styled the hair for me (shout out to her!!). She blow dried and straightened it and did all that stuff. I didn’t want to wear my hair in its natural state due to heat and I’ve already straightened it once this year so I didn’t want to add anymore wahala to it.
(The concept of hair might be confusing to some when it comes to a black woman's hair so I’ll just move on :D )


Putting everything on and of course pictures:

Now that hair and make-up was done – it was time to put on accessories. I put on the earrings, I didn’t wear a necklace because my dress was high neck, I also wore my watch/bracelet and shoes. And finally the dress.
My dress was custom made because there is like one area where they sell prom dresses where I live and I just wasn’t willing to risk having the same dress as someone, plus it’s all fridging expensive. My dress was a decent price but the alterations made it shoot up (it was too big). So the day before, the dress was done and all was sorted. I was nervous at this point because the moment that I, along with the rest of my year group, had been waiting for was actually here and it was just a bit nerve-racking.
So of course my mum took pictures, my grandma took pictures with me and my brothers were somewhere in the house that day- and the moment had arrived to leave.


Walking:

So my mum’s car was out of bounds that day as it needed repairing so I had to walk to my friend’s house who lived like a 5 minute walk away. It was a struggle because the dress was ‘poofy’ at the bottom but the walk was practise anyway because I would be walking regardless at the venue. But once I got there and saw her, the nerves were gone. She looked amazing and it was again, pictures and videos. So after we called the Uber – we made our way downstairs to get to the destination. At this point it was 4:40 – and we had to board the boat at 6…
Veeeery early. But nobody wanted to risk it. Plus the standard drive to the venue, with traffic and rush hour, it would take about 40 minutes to get there.



The City:

So we got to the pier/Central London for 5. A whole hour early. My school is a VERY FUNNY school and decided that we should be the first year that doesn’t have an assembly before going to the venue. Now if we had had an assembly, we would have been on time. But the reasoning for our earliness was down to the pressure of not missing the boat which wouldn’t have been an issue if we would have simply had our prom on land/if our school provided transportation which they had done so every year.

But as the saying goes ‘you can’t have everything’
But either way we were early, we said hi to some friends, more pictures from my mum and my friend’s mum. Then before you knew it, everyone started to arrive. (To think that our head of year said if you didn’t come at 6 the boat will leave, BUUUUTTT NOOOOO, the boat left at 6:30, (what a FUNNY SCHOOL!!) The frustration is real but by the time we said good bye, hello and took pictures, and actually boarded the boat – things were okay.

The boat - Erasmus:

The boat was great but I would have preferred if prom was on land. It was a beautiful experience with many scenery and insta worthy pictures. But having prom on the boat means the venue is quite small – although there’s other places to go on the boat, the main dance floor area is quite narrow compared to a standard ballroom/hotel venue. It meant pressure on time and people not being able to come due to lateness. Plus we were told that our prom would last for 4 hours, from 6-10.
Guys…
We boarded that boat at 6:30 and left the boat at 9:45. So if my mathematical skills are still in check that was only 3 hours and 15 minutes we had. That remaining 45 minutes will be missed dearly. There was already complaints at the fact prom was finishing at 10 (too early for some).

Overall the boat was okay. It had its great side and it had its not so great side.
Due to not wanting this post to be too long, I will be doing a part 2 where I will explain what happened during and after prom! Thank you guys for reading!
"The night is still young and so are we." - Nicki Minaj


Bag: Dorothy Perkins
Shoes: New Look
Watch: Guess
Dress: Custom made

Simply, Jessy Tee

2 comments

Write comments
Velvet Blush
AUTHOR
8 August 2017 at 06:24 delete

I hope you enjoyed it even with all the drama about the boat and finishing early. I think the excitement of getting ready is just as big as the event itself haha x

Velvet Blush

Reply
avatar
Jessy Tee
AUTHOR
18 August 2017 at 14:01 delete

Thank you girl ! Everything turned out to be alright in the end but it definitely was overwhelming at the time xx

Jessy <3

Reply
avatar